Allow yourself to be introduced and indoctrinated into the world of solar backpacks! A one-time imagined design that has now become not just a reality but a necessity in this age of energy powered technology. From mobile phone users to tree loggers and campers, a solar backpack is an item that will always come in handy at any given time. We have compiled a list of the best solar backpacks and this has been reviewed and dished out for your consumption. An introduction to this fantastic invention, though, is very important at this point.
What is a Solar Powered Backpack?
This is a carrier bag (usually a 2 strap shoulder bag that can be worn across both shoulders to distribute weight evenly across the shoulders.) that has film receptor solar panels ( panels that absorb the heat from the sun and convert this heat into energy) built into the bag itself. These panels convert the light from the sun, convert them into electricity and store them in batteries for later use. It can be used to charge devices like phones and laptops without having to plug into a power socket within a building. Bags that have been fitted for use like this are called many names including solar power backpacks, backpacks with solar panels, and even solar charger backpacks.
Top 10 Solar Backpacks Review
1. Sunnybag ICONIC Solar Portable Backpack Charger
This creation from Sunnybag is fantastic and every reviewer’s favourite. With its clean, fashionable olive-brown color, it has very interesting features.
- Convenient and easy to use – The ICONIC backpack is a functional backpack that is useful in almost all situations. It can be used by students, workers, travel enthusiasts and more. It is made from materials that do not allow water to pass through whether planned or mistakes like falling into a pond or a burst of rain. The Solar panel is applied together with the backpack and has its own charger that is also within; this makes it a perfect carrier bag for Millenials, gen Z and everyone who likes to save their battery-powered devices.
- Stylish & practical – A backpack that offers about 20L in well-structured storage space. Laptops that have 17” screens will have enough space in the laptop stash space. Other devices also have specially created spaces within the carrier bag.
- New age tech panels – The most powerful solar panel cells in the market right now have been added to this awesome backpack.
- 100% working capacity – Certified working panels at 100% capacity
- Water resistant – Water-resistant materials that help to protect the items contained in the bag.
- Fast charge – Superfast charge for mobile phones; charging them as fast as 2hours in direct sunlight.
- Very portable bag with durable materials
- Certificate and warranty for solar panels installed.
- Stylish and Multi-functional, can be used for work, school, travel, camping and more.
- Does not come with an inbuilt battery power bank.
- Only one device can be charged at a time.
With a power bank bought separately, it is the perfect solar charger backpack to invest in.
2. XD Design Bobby Tech Anti-Theft Wireless Solar Panel Backpack
This solar charger backpack is one for the books as it is an eco-friendly backpack made from recycled bottles of plastic.
- A water-resistant nature due to its product make.
- An integrated USB Charger point for both normal and Type C chargers.
- Zipper closure; makes it hard for one to steal from the bag while it is being carried behind.
- Wide enough to carry much more than the average backpack as well as properly arranged compartments for laptops and more within the backpack.
- A patented fidlock placed that gives prompt access to your phone or water bottle.
- Comes with a wireless charger
- Fidlock Phone case for mobile phones.
- Zipper closure
- Comfortably arranged and can carry a lot more things.
- Fidlock Phone case is slightly small and may not fit all phones comfortably.
This is a great product, especially for 1-2 day unplanned trips.
3. ECEEN Solar Backpack
This particular solar charger backpack is another game-changer. With its classic look and its multiple compartments, this solar charging backpack is said to be the minimalist traveller’s best friend.
- Plenty of room well arranged and compartmentalised.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Made from very durable material.
- Captures more sunlight than the regular panel, therefore stores more electricity than most solar-powered backpacks.
- Removable solar panel charger.
- Durable and easy to keep clean, lightweight.
- Converts more energy than most backpacks.
- 7-watts Solar Charger Panel
- Voltage Stability Controller for GPS
- Does not come with a battery pack.
This is a very good investment for your travel arsenal.
4. EnerPlex Executive Solar Powered Backpack
This is another favorite for travellers and campers. It is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts and can be used for camping, sportings events, short trips and more.
- Expandable Compartments to fit in more carry-on luggage
- Water-resistant and is built to tough out harsh conditions.
- Built with one of the world’s most awarded panels.
- Padded cushion sleeves
- Made from durable materials; Solar on Plastic
- Super light
- Anti-scratch and anti-tear due to durable materials.
- Can withstand being dropped, small shocks and minor hits or punches due to its rugged make.
- Super affordable at less than $40 US dollars.
- Worth the cost price and more.
- Compatible with most laptops up to 15inches.
- Much less wattage than a few of the top solar backpacks on the market.
- This backpack is not Anti-theft and has open zippers.
For the price, it is a super valuable product to purchase. Can definitely come in handy as an emergency for both adults and kids.
5. ECEEN Solar Foldable Daypack With 5V Power Supply
With a well-known name in the solar industry, another creation from the company ECEEN had to make this list. With features that are above average, this particular backpack with solar panels lined within is suitable for day travel or hiking trips and even comes with a company warranty.
- A Solar Charger that is mobile: Mobile solar charger for all of your devices that can be used with any USB, such as most mobile phones, tablets, small carrier cameras and a few members of the go-pro series, GPS trackers and more, your kindle reader, rechargeable speakers, Different kinds of power storage packs etc. The panel is detachable via a zipper and can be easily added to other Carrier bags.
- Made from Long lasting Materials: Made from very high-quality nylon that keeps water out & polyester fabric that is also tear-resistant, with attached Extra fortified metal zippers and strong bar-tacks are put in all the major tear-prone points helping to provide a long-lasting life during one’s daily activities. This allows you to be able to carry more items within this Solar backpack.
- Large Content Carrying Capacity: With 30L storage space, it features a multiple compartment design that has one main zipper compartment, one front pocket, also zipped and two pockets; one on either side of the backpack. One pocket situated in the main compartment but separated from it serves as a convenient space to store the solar panel. Large content carrying capacity helps with easy organization of all your essential items within the backpack.
- Lightweight and comfortably Easy to carry: Super compact and lightweight, this backpack weighs just 1.19pounds, can be folded back into the bag’s own pockets for extra space and unfolded when needed. Shoulder straps made with breathable mesh and a lot of sponge padding helps to reduce a lot of the weight from your shoulders while carrying it. A chest attachment attached to a whistle buckle works to share the pack’s weight evenly keeping the backpack steady and well balanced. Definitely, a trendy item to have with you for people in high energy outdoor activities.
- Weighs much less than most packs with solar panels.
- 5w solar charger backpack for all devices and even power banks
- Carries more items and can be foldable into itself when compartments are not in use.
- Made from Super Durable Materials.
- Very affordable price with all these features attached.
- Also does not come with a battery pack.
- Has only one USB port.
Another solar charger backpack that is definitely worth more than the price.
6. Fanspack Solar Powered Backpack
This solar powered backpack is a favorite for students due to its sleek design and carrying capacity.
- A regulated but highly efficient Solar Panel: The 3Watts solar panel can be detached from the backpack to be used on its own. The solar panel absorbs solar energy, with high efficiency of up to 24% transfer rate, converting this energy into electrical energy that can now be used to charge your cellphone or other small gadgets.
- Large Carrying Capacity Within Backpack: L*W*H: 30*19*47cm(11.81*7.48*18.50 inches). It is big enough to accommodate a 15.6-inch laptop, mobile phone, wallet, books, magazine, clothes or other personal items all at the same time. The back zipper pocket can also carry extra mobile phones, a wallet and other valuables with its anti-theft zippers. Super convenient and comfortable.
- Comfortable Carrying: Designed with well-padded adjustable shoulder straps that are made to ease and drastically reduce the pressure on your shoulders while it is being carried. The breathable mesh of the back can dissipate heat so that you would not feel too hot while using it in the summer months.
- High-Quality Grade Production materials: Made of high-quality oxford cloth that is very lightweight and waterproof. This backpack is perfect for business people, school students, college kids, hiking enthusiasts, travellers, camping trips for individuals and family, day-trips and all other outdoor activities. It also serves as a great gift for men.
- Anti-theft design for outer pockets.
- Comfortable straps that ease the weight on the shoulders.
- A removable panel that can be used on its own without the backpack.
- Durable material that can survive constant usage.
- Will continue to charge as long as it is in the sunlight.
- Does not come with a battery pack.
- Needs constant sunlight to continue charging
7.Voltaic Systems Converter Rapid Solar Backpack Charger
The Voltaic Sytems solar charger backpack is a new favorite for backpackers and travellers.
- A 25v Battery Pack: That you can use to recharge your device faster, quicker and safer, store electrical power to power and recharge your devices especially when the weather is dull, not sunny.
- A 2-YEAR Purchase Warranty: The fantastic solar panels are made to be used for quite a while! These panels are made using very strong fabric and quality cells units that will survive the stress of everyday use. The warranty is stated thus; For the panel 2years, For the Storage pack 1year.
- High-Grade Solar Panels: These are made from a material that is monocrystalline; this material is at the forefront of the solar industry and is estimated to charge all your phones to full capacity in about 3 to 3and a half hours with direct light from the outdoors.
- Great Device Compatibility Range: It is designed to charge a wide range of electronic devices and can all be charged via USB. Examples like camera batteries, Techno, Nokia, iPads, Tablets, Sony, GoPro, Canon, Nikon digital cameras
- Safe charging for your devices on cloudy days
- High-grade materials with a warranty
- Wide compatibility range for devices.
- Durable materials that help prevent easy wear and tear over time.
- 25v advantage over other backpacks in this range
- Clean and modern-day design, great for both young and old.
- Comes with a battery pack.
- None worth mentioning.
This is definitely one of the products that has been in existence and has kept improving over the years with listening ears to its consumers.
8. FARAZ Solar Waterproof Backpack
Another hidden gem in the world of solar backpacks is this backpack from FARAZ. Made from durable 600D Oxford material, it can serve as a laptop bag for work or school.
- Polyester lining for the inner parts of the backpack making it usable in rainy and wet conditions without damage to the contents of the bag.
- Solar Panel Power Output Of 6W: FARAZ designed this backpack and equipped it with a solar panel for your recharging uses. With a 6w output from this backpack, you can charge all your devices at your leisure and comfort.
- Assorted Multiple Compartments: As one of the companies Number one backpack in the market, This item was made with expert craftsmanship with plenty of internal space to carry all your favourites like your mobile phone and other mobile devices. All these items and devices are catered for in the backpack on your way to your preferred destination.
- User-Friendly: Made to be very comfortable, the backpack has padded handles that are made to fit on your back properly and conveniently on the shoulders to distribute its weight evenly. Very lightweight, the bag is equipped with anti-theft protection to protect the contents of your backpack. Extra Cushion behind with thick foam and also has a carrying handle to switch carrying positions.
- Waterproof & Long-lasting: In an effort to protect your valuables, FARAZ made this bag with very waterproof material. Durable and can last for a long time even if it used every day. Definitely, created this fabulous item to the customers’ satisfaction.
- Warranty On Customer Experience: Excellent Customer experience is their no. 1 priority. FARAZ is committed to attending to all customers. So if the product purchased is not up to the standard described, they offer full refunds to our clients.
- Warranty on purchase including a full refund.
- Waterproof material inside and outside the backpack
- Anti-theft measures on zippers especially the outer zipper locks on the backpack
- Very affordable pricing with shipping available to most countries
- Charges more than 1 device at once.
- Does not a wide range of compatible devices, unlike some other Solar Powered Backpack.
- Very slow charging speed
9. Energizer PowerKeep PRO Solar Backpack
This is another favorite for the ‘tech’ generation.
- Longer Lasting Power Bank: This executive backpack briefcase comes with a 10,000mAh Energizer power bank that has two USB ports and cable, a power indicator that is LED, a solar panel with an output of 3W.
- Solar Power: 3W output that is well regulated. You can charge your electrical devices such as phones, tablets and others that can be charged via a USB connection. The detachable solar panels are high tech and are made in the states to be used in rugged conditions. Weigh very little and are compact.
- Perfect Power Backup Port: You can charge the power bank using an AC or DC before you leaving your comfort zone; then reserve the solar panel power to recharge power bank while moving around during the day. One can charge smartphones more than three times from the power bank and the power bank can charge more than one device at the same time.
- Zippered Compartments: Multifunctional Compartments within the backpack are designed to carry laptops with up to 17” screen, enough clothes for an overnight trip, power bank, charging cable and other supplies. A conveniently placed pocket added to the sides of the backpack to carry a water bottle. You can stow the power bank and its cable in a convenient pocket that is placed behind the solar panel or inside the briefcase and allows a little hole for the cord to connect to the power bank to the solar panel.
- Carries laptops with screens bigger than 17inches; a personal favourite for gamers.
- Saves power and does not discharge quickly.
- Can charge more than one device at the same time.
- The output is too low to charge a laptop via the solar panel. Only USB chargeable devices can be used with this backpack.
10. SolarGoPack Solar-Powered Backpack
SolarGoPack has come up with a modern and sleek looking backpack that has a solar panel for recharging devices especially mobile phones to avoid your device going out at important times.
- The SolarGoPack backpack comes with a battery useful for charging USB chargeable devices. It also allows for multiple charging at the same time and also charges them safely and quickly.
- This backpack boasts of a powerful Battery, a detachable and compact panel made with novel solar technology.
- The output is 5W, available space is about 27L inside the backpack, adapters are included and space to carry quite a number of items comfortably.
- Multiple devices charging at the same time.
- Comes with 8 different adapters apart from the USB mini charger for an AC adapter.
- A sleek new design that works well for kids as well as adults.
- Made from durable materials that can withstand wear and tear
- Weighs more than the average solar-powered backpack.
- A few more improvements to the USB port can be allowed for.
So far these solar powered backpacks can help your day to day activities. Hopefully, this list can help your entry into the world of solar energy.