Commuter backpacks come in different designs, sizes, colors and even material composition. Out of all these, there are a few such commuter backpacks considered by most people as the best.
Because of that, we constituted a team of experts across the commuting industry, backpack manufacturers and different users to contribute their views regarding which commuter back pack was the best and why. Here is the list of what was compiled;
1. SwissGear 1900 ScanSmart TSA Laptop Backpack
- Comes fabricated using the all-weather 1200D ballistic polyester
- Comes with the ScanSmart lay-flat technology designed to protect laptops as big as 17 inches
- Measures 18.5X13X9 inches and weighs 10.4 ounces
- Comes with a dedicated floating tablet sleeve for your convenience
- Comes in 7 different colors
- Comes with padded shoulder straps polished with a mesh fabric along with the adjustable compression straps
- The back panel is padded with airflow ventilation technology that enhances the level of comfort desired
- Spacious enough to accommodate a tablet and all laptop sizes up to those as big as 17 inches
- Comes in 7 different colors to enable you the freedom of selecting whatever color you prefer most
- The zippers often times break easily and so, you will need to exercise a little more care while handling this bag.
It is sturdy with comfortable padded shoulder straps, spacious and ships anywhere around the world for your convenience.
2. AmazonBasics Laptop Computer Backpack
- Measures 19.3X13.4X7 inches and weighs 1.98 lbs
- Comes with a padded sleeve for the laptop
- Can carry a laptop as big as an 17 inch one
- 1 mesh water bottle pocket on either side
- Extra compartments for carrying cell phones, pens, keys and other essentials
- Comes with a grab handle for quick and rapid pick and go whenever required to do so.
- Can be used to carry a 17 inch laptop
- The 2 meshed side pockets come in handy when carrying water bottles
- Has a grab handle that would be easier to use when in a hurry
- The many compartments available help organize your items in a neat manner
- The many zippers are not lockable
- The bag comes without an adjustable shoulder strap that would offer an alternative when carrying it
- Comes only in one color – black
It is durable, spacious and comfortable to lift. It also relatively affordable compared to peers.
3. Kenneth Cole Reaction Brooklyn Commuter Backpack
- Made from the long lasting ballistic 1680D Polyester
- Comes installed with the RFiD business organizer platform that is also an anti-scanning technology developed to protect your credit cards and passport from unauthorized scanning
- Its dual compartments are big enough to accommodate 2 laptops at ago i.e. 15 and 17 inch laptops
- Has a padded tablet pocket along with multiple other interior pockets to hold other electronics
- Measures up to 18X14X7.5 and weighs 2.9 lbs
- Comes with a manufacturer’s lifetime warranty
- Made from the globally accredited and recognized 1680D polyester which is durable and smooth to the touch
- Secures your sensitive personal items like credit cards and the passport against any identity theft while travelling
- It has several zippered pockets to prevent the contents from inadvertently spilling out
- May be considered by a few people as slightly pricy.
- The zippers are not lockable so, anyone malicious can easily open the bag and that would not just compromise your privacy, but also expose the contents to a potential loss.
Its RFiD business organization platform will certainly secure your credit cards and passport against any identity theft. It is lightweight and spacious enough. These among other listed benefits would without doubt be the very reason to get this bag right away.
4. KOPACK Lightweight Laptop Backpack
- Comes in 5 different colors
- Measures 12.5X10.2X3.8 inches and weighs just 1.56 lbs
- The main compartment comes secured with the anti-puncture 4 tooth zipper
- Comes with an external USB port
- Also features an anti-theft hidden laptop zone allowing the laptop compartment to be opened only when the bag is taken off your back
- Comes crafted with the popular S-shaped and softly padded shoulder straps
- Can carry a laptop as big as 15.6 inches
- Its unique design ensures your laptop is always secure at all times
- The USB port allows you to charge your phone and tablet even as you travel provided you have power bank with you
- The S-shaped and softly padded shoulder strap ensure you are comfortable carrying the bag
- The bottom of the bag is not padded and so should there be some kind of shock or may be the bag dropped down for some reason; any sensitive electronics including the laptop or tablet may not be entirely secure.
It is durable, compact, and with an external USB that would come in handy should you need to charge your phone or tablet while traveling. This would indeed be some true value for your money without doubt.
5. Thule Pack-n-Pedal Commuter Backpack
- Comes infused with the 360 degree reflective screen print that certainly increases visibility from all around
- Its hideaway helmet attachment gear makes this just more than a bag; it is a companion for the cycling enthusiasts
- It is waterproof black in in color
- Measures 6.7X24X24 inches and weighs 2.56 lbs
- The softly padded laptop compartment seats on top of the bag as opposed to being against your back.
- Its shoulder straps are padded for extra comfort while carrying
- Its compartment can carry a laptop as big as 15 inches.
- Its 360 reflective surface is precise safety measure especially for cyclists since it would be easily seen by other road users from any direction even at night
- The laptop compartment is not just softly padded, it is also located on top of the bag for extra safety measures
- Comes with the grab and go strap for quick and rapid carrying especially when somehow one is running late
- It is waterproof to help protect your important documents and other items inside in all-weather environments including bad weather
- The helmet holding system together with the U-lock, and light simply speak of the safest and most convenient backpack for cyclists
- Cannot be used to carry any laptop bigger than 15 inches
- The bag is fairly pricy
With its reflective surface design for your 360 degree safety, this bag also has a special provision for U-lock and lighting as well as extra pockets to accommodate your other electronics and items. It is compact, comfortable to carry and durable. Certainly a good bargain for your money
6. The North Face Jester Backpack
- This bag measures 19.8X13.2X7.5 and weighs 2.65 lbs
- Comes with a FlexVent suspension system and compression molded shoulder straps
- Its back panel is mesh padded just like the laptop sleeve
- The second compartment comes with internal pockets are zippered, Velcro and pen pockets
- Available in 36 different colors
- Comes with a reflective bike-light loop, water bottle shoulder and a reflective shoulder strap that is also padded.
- This bag comes in 36 different color shades from which you can choose your most preferred
- It is compact enough to be carried by nearly all people irrespective of their body physique
- The shoulder straps are padded with soft material to ensure no discomfort while carrying the bag
- The Velcro and pen pockets help you organize the bag’s interior
- The 360 reflective shoulder strap enhances your security particularly getting you noticed more easily by other road users
- The padding in the laptop sleeve ensures the laptop is always secure from bumps and sudden shocks
- Some of the colors appear brighter on the actual backpack than in the picture
- Depending on the handling, sometimes the bag can quickly wear out.
If you fancy good and appealing backpack colors, then this is your kind. With 36 colors available, you have quite a variety to select your best indeed. This bag is sturdy, cozy and relatively comfortable to carry.
7. Timbuk2 Division Laptop Backpack
- Comes in 11 different colors, measures 17.3X9.8X4.3 inches and weighs 1.98 lbs
- The back padded laptop compartment is spacious enough to carry a laptop as big as a 15 inch
- Comes with a grab handle for pick and go easy lifting
- The shoulder straps are conveniently padded to guarantee comfortable carrying even if the bag is fairly loaded
- Comes with a removable sternum strap and zippered side stretch Neoprene pocket for you water bottle
- Also features external compression
- The main compartment is big enough to accommodate books, lunch box and a light jacket
- The bag is compact enough to be used as a carry-on on most flights
- It is expandable and thus can accommodate more of what you need to carry along
- With its 11 different colors, you are sure to find the color that best matches your preference
- Padded shoulder straps guarantee a comfortable lift
- The zippered pockets ensure the contents don’t just spill out anyhow
- The stretchable neoprene pocket offers just the space you need to carry your water bottle
- The grab handle comes in handy whenever you need to make a quick pick and rush especially if you are running behind schedule for your flight
- The zippers are not lockable and thus could expose the contents to unauthorized access or even loss
In view of the benefits cited above relative to the cons, this bag certainly delivers not just satisfaction but convenience in its natural form. If you need space, comfort, flexibility, and of course affordability then this is the bag you should have. It is a complete package and a true value for your money.
8. Incase City Commuter Backpack
- Measures 14X7X21 inches and measures 2 lbs
- Comes with 2 compartments with the main one for the laptop and the other for other documents
- The compartments are zippered
- Comes with several interior pockets to carry your cellphone, tablet, power banks and even business cards
- Comes with adjustable shoulder straps that are appropriately padded
- It is lightweight and compact enough to be used as a carry-on
- The zippered compartments help ensure the contents do not spill out
- The padded compartments help ensure the laptop as well as other electronics inside are safe from any shocks or bumps
- The shoulder straps are thickly padded to ensure your comfort even as you bear the bag’s weight on your back
- The grab and go conveniently plays a key role whenever you need to quickly pick the backpack and rush through with limited time before your flight closes the doors
- The bag is so spacious it can carry a 19 inch laptop and still allow enough for your books and other essentials including files
- The bag may be a little too big for people with smaller body physique
- The zippers are unlockable and can thus easily compromise the confidentiality of the contents by enabling unauthorized access by some unscrupulous people
- There are no side pockets that would otherwise come in handy for those travellers who like carrying a bottle of water along
- A bit pricy in comparison to its peers bearing features similar to it.
If you need a comfortable backpack that has both the style and space yet still offer comfort while carrying, then relax. You finally have what you need – the Incase City Commuter Backpack. Try it out now and enjoy the feeling.
9. Osprey Daylite Plus Daypack
- Comes featuring 10 different colors along with a hydration pocket and a mesh-covered die-cut foam back panel that delivers comfort through regulated ventilation
- The internal laptop pocket is evenly padded to secure the laptop in case of a shock or a bump
- The quick grab strap is both sturdy and padded
- Measures 18X10X9 inches and weighs 1.19 lbs
- Comes with a multi-function interior sleeve that can hold a tablet or even a laptop as big as 14 inches wide.
- Boasts of the duel stretch mesh side pockets
- The guarantee for repairing any damage or a full replacement of the bag is a show of commitment by the manufacturer to guarantee your total satisfaction
- The waist strap helps establish
- The 10 available colors offer flexible options for you to select your preferred bag color
- The 2 stretch mesh side pockets offer the best water bottle holding options
- This backpack can attach to a variety of other compatible Osprey Packs just to create more storage options
- For slightly above averagely built people, the shoulder straps often come short and thus pose an inconvenience to such. A little longer straps would have just done the trick.
- The water bottle pockets may not be entirely tight fitting for the bottles especially knowing that the bottles vary in sizes. Besides, the pockets are not deep enough to accommodate taller bottles. This would lead to some bottles falling off somewhere along the way
In view of the special features, this bag is certainly the answer you have been looking for among the best commuter backpacks. It is comfortable in nature, durable in design and appealing to the eye. It is without doubt, the true value for your money.
10. Samsonite UBX Commuter Backpack
- Made of the durable polyester fabric
- Comes with 2 compartments i.e. 1 for the laptop and the other for your tablet both of which are evenly padded for the safety of the electronics
- It flosses a smart sleeve that allows the case to gently slide over the gentle tube to enhance more comfortable transport
- This unisex backpack measures 18X13.5X8.5 inches and weighs 2.6 lbs
- All the external compartments are fully zippered and lockable
- Comes with a grab and go grip
- The shoulder strap are slightly padded to cushion your shoulders from being bruised especially when carrying relatively heavy load
- The textured zippers offer a better grip and allow the zippers to slide smoothly
- The bag is water resistant and would certainly protect your important documents
- It is portable and compact enough to be used as a carry-on
- The bag comes without a chest strap and warranty
It is durable, waterproof and compact. It is also affordable and a good option overall. You cannot go wrong with a quality product from a reputable brand like this.