Whether it’s a hiking trip, a business trip, in campus or daily commute, men need a bag to carry their gear, gadgets, files, books, clothes and other items including passports, tickets and wallets.
These days, such multifunctional bag comes in the form of a backpack. The days where they were meant for students and young people are gone. Today, men in different spheres of life and ages carry a backpack. This is because of the modern, classy look that a good backpack brings to the table.
While choosing the best backpack, a man will likely consider the following features: materials, durability, appearance, warranty, masculinity, organization, color, size, protection it offers, weight, TSA friendliness, anti theft measures and other important features. A backpack may not have all you desire but the best combinations should win the race for who gets your money.
10 Best Backpacks for Men Reviewed
1. Matein Laptop Backpack with USB Charging Port
This backpack is stylish, lightweight and goes really well with a 15.6 inch laptop. The great features packed into it makes it one of the top mens backpacks.
- It is lightweight which makes it more comfortable to carry a laptop and other items without feeling aches around your shoulders.
- Made with durable polyester material. This means that you can use it for a very long time without losing it’s very attractive appearance.
- Water-resistant, meaning that if you have to walk in the rain, your laptop and documents are perfectly safe.
- It has a separate padded compartment for your 15.6 inch laptop.
- It has an antitheft pocket where you can store small items that are usually targets of thieves, such as your wallet or passport.
- USB charging port by which you can access and charge your phone while on the move.
- It has an anti-theft strap which you can use to secure it to your luggage handle while heading to the airport or train station.
- The shoulder straps and the handle are generously padded to provide extra comfort while carrying them across the shoulder or in hand.
- Several pockets and compartments for shoeing accessories and devices.
The Matein backpack is a great for men. It is classy, handy, and durable and will perfectly serve your office and school needs. You can enjoy playing music or watching videos on your smartphone while charging it in your backpack with the USB charging port provided. And all of these at a great price.
2. North Face Recon Backpack
The North Face Recon is one of the best all-purpose backpacks you can find. It can fit in a whopping 31 liters of volume without breaking a sweat. It can serve your commuting, hiking or short travel needs. Its huge volume and several compartments and pockets mean you can fit your laptop, MacBook, accessories and travel clothes with ease.
- Made of thick, durable nylon that ensures it will comfortably withstand years of daily use.
- It’s large and can fit in your laptop, books, clothes and accessories.
- It is lightweight which is a relief considering how much weight can be fit into it. This property comes in handy when you want to take long hikes.
- It has several pockets for your water bottle, power banks, chargers and other accessories. It also has an extendable mesh holder and other two mesh holders for your water bottles.
- The zippers are heavy-duty and are designed to withstand everyday use. It will take years before it starts behaving in that annoying way of getting stuck.
- The compartments are padded to protect your laptop and other devices from harm when it hits a hard surface or object. The bottom is also padded in case it is accidentally dropped.
- It is water-resistant. You don’t have to worry about water spilled on it or drops of rain. But it’s not waterproof. During heavy rain, water may get inside.
- The middle pocket is suspended a few inches above the base of the backpack, which means your laptop and MacBook will be protected if the base hits the ground.
- It has well-padded shoulder straps for more comfort. It also has waist straps for extra stability in case you have to move fast.
- It has FlexVent technology which allowed air ventilation between the bag and the body. This will help keep you comfortable throughout your trip.
- Comes in several colors. The designs are really attractive and some of them with bright, contrasting colors.
The North Face Recon is one of the best men’s backpacks. The quality and durability are top notch. It is definitely what you’re looking for if you need a comfortable, cool-looking backpack to fit in as much as possible when you want to go on a short trip, a hike or your daily commute.
3. Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack
This is one of Osprey’s best-selling products. As the name implies it is more like a duffle bag strapped on the back. It is really large, it can hold 46 liters of contents. It is not the best looking backpack in the market, but if you are after a great all-around backpack for serious travel, this product will be a top candidate. Let’s take a look at its amazing features.
- It is mainly made from a 420HD nylon pack cloth.
- It is a large with a capacity of 46 liters. This makes it a perfect backpack for travelers.
- It has padded shoulder straps. It will keep you comfortable on long walks if the load is not too heavy.
- Waist strap that helps to redistribute weight and keep you as comfortable as possible when you are carrying heavy loads.
- It has an option for stowing away the shoulder or waist straps when they are not in use. The shoulder strap is stowed away in a zippered compartment along the upper part of the backpack’s backside while the waist straps are folded and tucked into a zippered pocket at the base.
- The zippers are heavy-duty, designed to withstand everyday use.
- It has a sufficient number of pockets. Three front pockets for items such as your toiletries, notebooks or passports. It also has two pockets on each side. One of them is a zipper mesh pocket while the other is a zippered standard pocket. Its laptop sleeve at the backside is padded and offers protection to your laptop. The main pocket is really large and can fit in all you can carry. It is also padded to give your gear added protection.
- The Osprey Porter 46 has a straightjacket compression wings that prevent the load from moving around on your back. It helps to keep it close to your back as you move, giving you extra comfort. It can also be used to reduce the size of the backpack when it’s not full or flatten it when it’s empty.
- It has padded handles in case you don’t want to carry it in your hand – one at the top and one on the side. The handle at the bottom is not padded.
- It weighs 3lbs 50 oz. with dimensions of 22 × 49 × 9 inches.
Among the many backpacks for men, the Osprey Porter 46 ranks pretty high. It will serve all your travel needs. With its 46 liters capacity, you do not need to haul luggage as you try to board the plane or bus. Everything you need is comfortable placed on your back.
4. Yorepek Extra Large Backpack
Yorepek has continued to impress with its products, making it one of the top mens backpack brands in the world. If you are interested in cool looking piece with large capacity for carrying your laptop and other gadgets, while also being TSA friendly, this is probably the product for you. The features are great for the price.
- It is made of durable nylon that is built to withstand daily use.
- It is TSA approved which means you’ll be spared some hassles at airport security.
- It’s water-resistant and also waterproof. The high quality nylon material and heavy-duty zippers will protect your gadgets and documents during heavy rain.
- It has more than 20 compartments and pockets for your laptop, books, folders, tickets, gadgets etc.
- A large capacity of 45 liters means all those compartments will really come in handy.
- Dimensions are 18.1 × 8.3 × 14.2 inches.
The Yorepek extra large backpack is cool looking and popular especially with students. In addition to its cool appearance, it doesn’t compromise on volume and durability. It is a top product which is guaranteed to give you the utmost value for your money. It can hold as much as you can carry and still manage to avoid looking too bulky. The attractive designs will be useful if you want to look cool in campus or while taking a walk to the office.
5. North Face Borealis Backpack
The North Face Borealis is not for mountaineering or serious travel. But if you need a backpack for your daily use, school or a quick hike in the city, this product will serve your needs very well. The beautiful designs will suit students, athletes and tourists. It will also look great with your corporate wears on your way to the office. If you own a bike, the mesh cords can hold your helmet comfortably while the bike reflective light will keep you visible at night. Let us take a look at the features packed into this product and let you decide if it’s what you’re looking for.
- It is made of durable nylon with a warranty of a lifetime. This means that North Face do not think you will have many manufacturing issues with this backpack, and if you do, they’re willing to cover it.
- Attractive, modern design with 25 different color combinations available.
- It can hold 28 liters of contents which is more than you’ll probably need most of the time.
- It has extendable meshes on the sides for your water bottle.
- It has a height adjustable sternum strap which helps to redistribute the weight and keep you comfortable as long as possible.
- Its padded laptop compartment can hold a 15 inch laptop and protect it in case its hit by a hard object.
- No rain cover. This means that if you’re expecting rain and don’t want to get your gear wet, you’ll have to take an umbrella.
- The FlexVent technology improves ventilation between your back and the backpack.
- Well-padded shoulder straps to keep you comfortable and prevent it from biting into your shoulders. The top handle is also padded in case you prefer to carry it in your hand.
- It has a bike reflective light for added safety at night.
- Its dimensions are 19.75 × 13.5 × 8.5 inches and it weighs about 2lbs 12 oz which means it is quite lightweight and won’t give you much discomfort if you have to carry it on your shoulders for hours on end.
The Borealis backpack is made by North Face, a company known for making some of the best backpacks for men. It is durable, with a lifetime warranty and will look great on your back as you take a short trip, walk to school or decide to take a hike around town. At 25 litres, it can hold all you can carry while giving you the maximum comfort. It also has safety features like the bike reflecting light that makes you more visible at night.
6. Kenneth Cole Reaction Slim Colombian Leather Backpack
This product has awesome features and is designed to satisfy your business travel needs. With TSA EZ scan feature, you do not need to remove your laptop every time you get to the airport security. Let’s take a look at the amazing features of this product from Kenneth Cole.
- Made from highly durable Colombian cowhide leather, that can withstand daily use and even gets more beautiful with time.
- The lining inside is tear-resistant and built to withstand daily use.
- TSA approved EZ scan feature which ensures the most convenient air travels.
- Padded laptop compartment that protects your laptop and gear.
- Laptop compartment can hold a laptop of 16 inches screen size.
- It has several compartments. It has a small compartment in front for valuables such as passports or credit cards. A larger compartment can hold your files and phone tablets.
- It has a trolley tunnel that can fit most trolley handles.
- The handle is padded to ensure more comfortable carrying.
- The shoulder straps are padded which prevents it from biting into your shoulders.
- The dimensions are 16.3 × 12.5 × 4.5 inches and weigh 3.4 lbs.
This top quality leather backpack will give you optimal service as a business traveler. It is elegant and will carry all your business gadgets while making it much more convenient to get through airport security. And with its high quality Colombian cowhide exterior, you’re going to enjoy those features for a long time.
7. Oakley Men’s Kitchen Sink Backpack
This may seem like an odd name for a backpack, but this is a dream product for anyone who wants a large backpack for extended vacation. At a volume of 34 liters, it can fit quite a lot of your stuff, including your shoes. If you like your backpack looking rugged and tactical, then you just found it.
Certainly, with these amazing features packed into it, it must rank high among the best backpacks for men.
- Made from tough 160D nylon material built to withstand heavy and regular use.
- It is built narrow at the top and really wide at the bottom.
- Volume of 34 liters and space that can hold a 17 inches laptop as well as tablets, clothes, shoes, water bottles etc.
- Top flap is closed by strapping sown metal clasps. This provides maximum security as even the most seasoned thieves will find it difficult to open it.
- The bottom is made of abrasion-resistant material.
- Separate compartment for shoes.
- Side adjustable straps for water bottle.
- Padded laptop sleeve for maximum protection.
- Several compartments for organization which can store notepads, smartphone, phone tablets and stationery.
- Heavy-duty zippers for daily extended use.
- Designed to distribute weight comfortably.
- Padded shoulder strap for more comfort, and on it are small pockets for storing your smartphones or IPod.
- Waist strap for added stability and on it are also small pockets for credit cards, keys or tickets.
- Water-resistant but not totally waterproof. Carry an umbrella in heavy rain to protect your gear.
- Headphone port.
- It weighs 4.5 lbs. and have dimensions of 20 × 14 × 8 inches.
This product is a must buy for guys who need a big backpack that can serve them during long trips or hikes. It will not only serve for a long time, it will also give you that strong, masculine appearance. Go for it and you’ll surely be glad you did.
8. Under Armour Huey Backpack
The Huey backpack is produced by Under Armour. If you’re a student or you need a medium-sized backpack for your daily commute to the office, this product is probably the best for you.
- Tough, abrasion-resistant 1680 nylon bottom panel for extended use.
- UA storm technology element-battling, water-resistant surface.
- Large main compartment for storage.
- TSA friendly laptop sleeve which unzips 180° to lay flat so you don’t need to remove it from your bag at airport security.
- Padded shoulder straps for more comfort.
- Several pockets for organization.
- Padded sleeve to hold a 15 inch MacBook or laptop.
- Cushioned back panel for carrying comfort.
- Front sternum strap for even weight distribution.
- Durable 100% polyester exterior built to withstand extended heavy use.
- Volume of 29 liters.
- Dimensions: 19.5 × 12.6 × 9.6 inches.
This product has many features that make it one of the best in its category. It also goes for a reasonable price. If the specifications meet your requirements, then by all means go for it.
9. Carhartt Legacy Deluxe Work Backpack
Carhartt is an apparel company based in the US. It was founded by Hamilton Carhartt in 1889. The company is known for making some top quality backpacks. This is one of the awesome pieces from the company.
- 1200D polyester built to withstand daily use.
- Durable polyester exterior materials
- Laptop compartment can hold 17 inch laptop
- Two other large compartments for files, gadgets or clothes
- Two zippered front pockets for smaller items like wallet and credit cards
- Large main compartment to store clothes and books
- Dimensions: 15 × 17.5 × 12.5 inches
- Weight: 21 lbs 8 oz
- Warranty covers defects in production and material
This product is simple and elegant. It gives you that mature appearance when you’re going to school or work.
10. Herschel Little America Backpack
This is one of the best men’s backpacks around. It is one of the most popular products from Herschel. It is popular with students and those who need a backpack for work or short trips.
- The exterior is made of high quality nylon.
- Comes in 55 color options.
- It comes in two sizes. The bigger one has dimensions of 20 × 11 × 6.5 inches and a volume of 25 liters. The smaller one has a volume of 17 liters with dimensions of 16 × 10.75 × 5 inches.
- Drawstring makes closing and opening the bag a lot easier.
- Heavily-padded base to protect your gear if it drops to the ground by mistake.
- Padded laptop compartment for most 15 inch laptops. The sleeve is also raised some inches above the base for further protection in case the bag is dropped. This sleeve is also fleece-lined.
- Shoulder padding for added comfort.
- Headphone jack to listen to music on the go.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Few pockets. There are no external side compartments for items such as water bottles. The bag basically has one main compartment and some small pockets inside for your wallet or phones.
- Air mesh back padding to ensure comfort on the back.
- Pleasant-looking Herschel signature red-striped fabric lining inside.
- Weight: 2.3 lbs.
This backpack is good value for money. It has several color combinations so it’s difficult not to find one to your taste. The interior is also quite pleasant. You also have a choice between the 17 liters and 25 liters volume. For your long walks around the city or in campus, the Herschel Little America backpack will keep you the best company.