In the modern day, a backpack is an important part of our lives. Whether you’re a businessman or woman, a student, an office worker, a hiker, a tech professional, or a gamer, a backpack is a commodity you can’t do without. It will help you carry your gear, clothes, gadgets, passport, ticket and of course, your laptop.
If your laptop measures 17 inches in width, your choice of a backpack reduces since most backpacks are designed to carry laptops with less width. You will need one of the 17 inch laptop backpacks listed below. They can hold and protect your laptop comfortably and some of them can hold even wider laptops.
Obviously, the laptop compartment sleeve is not the only feature you’ll be looking out for in a backpack.
Features to Consider When Looking for a 17-inch Laptop Backpack
Appearance: Sometimes, one look at a backpack and you’re in love. It could be the shape or the design. It could be the rugged or sleek look. It be because it looks so masculine or feminine, or really expensive. It could be because it looks so inconspicuous and utilitarian. How we imagine the backpack will look on our backs is also an important in helping you decide. If you’re tall, you’ll want a somewhat long bag, and if you’re smaller in frame, you’re unlikely to want a backpack to will look bulky on you. For some people, just the appearance of the backpack is enough for them to make a decision.
Durability: When choosing a backpack, it’s important to know what materials it is made of. The materials for the exterior, bottom, linings, zippers etc. will determine how long we will use the backpack. Certainly, we want our backpack to serve us for a long time, especially if we have some sentimental attachment to it. No one will want to go shopping for a backpack more often than he should have to.
Functionality: Before you choose a backpack, you already have a mental picture of how we want to use it. Whether we want to use it for hiking trips, short trips, business travels, gaming or daily commute, your choice of a backpack will be influenced by the backpack you consider possess the best combination of features to serve your need. For example, a large, rugged backpack with heavy-duty zippers and huge side water bottle pockets will serve well for hiking trips while a sleek backpack with a padded laptop sleeve and TSA friendly features will work well for business travel. You could also want USB ports to charge your phone or earphone jack to play music on the go.
Comfort: Sometimes, you need to carry heavy loads for long hours on your backpack. You would want a backpack that gives you the minimum discomfort as long as possible. This can be determined by the weight of the bag, paddings on the shoulders and back, sternum straps that are adjustable according to your height, hip straps to help redistribute weight of load and padding on the handle for easy carry. You could also want one with a luggage strap to attach it to the trolley of your luggage.
You may also want to have hassle-free airport security checks. TSA friendly backpacks will help you get through airports quickly. You would also want to know if airlines allow the backpack as a carry on.
Security: If you’re always on the move, you would want your gadgets and documents to be safe from thieves or damage. Some backpacks have antitheft pockets that enable you hide your documents or credit cards while on the go. Some also have zippers with holes for a padlock or a combination lock system. Paddings on the laptop sleeve and bottom can help you protect your laptop incase it strikes a hard surface or is mistakenly dropped.
Price: Of course, after considering the features of the backpack, you wouldn’t want it if you consider it too expensive or more than you can afford. You also may hesitate to buy a backpack that seems too cheap. It would probably make you doubt the quality of the backpack. The price needs to seem right for the features promised. Then, you might be willing to splash the cash.
Warranty: Before spending money on a backpack, you would want some assurance that you’re getting what you’re paying for. A warranty on the backpack gives you some assurance that the manufacturers have faith in their product and are willing to take responsibility for any shortcomings. This usually will be enough to help you make up your mind.
Top 10 17 inch Laptop Backpacks Reviewed
1. Matein 17 Inch Laptop Backpack
If you’re looking for a 17 inch laptop backpack that is TSA friendly, comfortable on your back and lightweight, this product may be what you need. It has amazing features that make it rank as one of the top 17-inch laptop backpacks on the market.
- It is made of durable polyester built to withstand daily use
- It has a well-padded laptop compartment which can hold a 17 inch laptop
- TSA friendly compartments that ensure convenience at airport security
- Durable metal zippers designed to withstand steady use
- Large capacity
- USB charging port for charging your phone on the go
- It has a main compartment that can hold your clothes, books, cameras etc. The front compartment can hold your tickets, passports, wallets etc. It has a durable extendable mesh side pockets for your water bottle and compact umbrella. If you’re walking in a mixed crowd, it has an antitheft back pocket where you can keep your wallets, tickets and passports hidden from thieves
- Luggage sleeve available to attach the bag to your luggage for easy mobility
- Back airflow ventilation for back comfort
- Padded shoulder straps for maximum comfort
- Lightweight materials for longer comfortable carry
- Dimensions: 19 × 13.8 × 7.8 inches
- Weight: 2 lbs.
- TSA friendly, making it easier for you to clear through airport security
- Large capacity which means it can hold all you can carry for your short trip
- Durable and lightweight
- Padded exterior helps to protect your gadgets if they hit a hard surface
- You can hide small valuables in the antitheft pocket in mixed crowds
- With the USB charging port, you can charge your phone while using it on the go
- It is weather-resistant and easy to clean
- It would look too simple for some people
- Fewer pockets than many people would like
This laptop backpack has the qualities you desire for your travels, office or study needs. It is comfortable, lightweight and can carry a 32 liter volume of contents. With its durable polyester exterior, it’s going to be a reliable companion for a long time.
2. Swiss Gear SA1908 TSA Friendly ScanSmart Laptop Backpack
This is one of the best 17 inch laptop backpacks. It has a ScanSmart feature which allows you to get through airport security without any hassles.
- ScanSmart feature
- Unfolds 180° flat on the ground to reveal the insides, thereby saving valuable time at airports
- The laptop compartment can hold most 17 inch laptops
- Lightweight at 2.65 lbs.
- The exterior is made of ballistic weave fabric
- Double stainless steel zippers with the SwissGear logo and holes for padlock
- Airflow back system for added comfort
- Main pocket for books, clothes etc. Special pocket for MP3 player. Pocket for small items such as stationery, tickets and passports. Two external, extendable mesh pockets for several sizes of water bottles and compact umbrella
- Comfortable shoulder straps
- Colour: black
- Dimensions: 18 × 13 × 9 inches
- Weight: 3.3 lbs.
- Convenient for travel
- Large capacity
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Sunglasses strap
- Extendable mesh for most water bottle sizes
- Only black color available
If you’re a professional or gamer that need a bag for your travels or commute, and want to have less hassles at airport security, this product will serve you perfectly.
3. Sosoon Business Laptop Backpack
It is suitable for carrying your 17 inch laptop safely and its TSA friendly feature makes it easier for you to get through airport security with minimum stress.
- 1680D water-repellent, tear-resistant polyester. This gives it durability for extended everyday use
- Antitheft pocket for your credit cards, tickets, passport, wallet and other valuables
- Airflow ventilation and back paddings for back comfort
- Wide, padded shoulder straps for carrying comfort
- Large main compartment for clothes and books. The laptop compartment can hold a 17 inch laptop. It has two large compartments for files and other documents. A smaller front compartment can hold your stationery and small gadgets. It has two side pockets for water bottle or compact umbrella
- It is TSA friendly. It opens 180° flat on the ground
- Luggage strap to attach it to a luggage for easy carrying
- Earphone port available for playing music on the go
- USB port for power bank
- Warranty: lifetime
- Lightweight of 2.05 lbs.
- Dimensions: 14 × 10.2 × 6.1 inches
- Sleek design
- Suitable for urban commute
- Antitheft feature
- TSA friendly
- Large capacity
- Lifetime warranty for design flaws
- Not rugged enough for some activities like serious hiking
If you are looking for a 17″ laptop backpack for your business travels while keeping your passport and wallet safe from thieves, you can search no more. This product is probably the best buy for you.
4. AmazonBasics Laptop Computer Backpack
This 17 inch laptop bag is a product of Amazon. It is designed to give you a lot of comfort, protect your laptop on the go and provide enough carrying space to make you put off bringing a luggage along.
- Material: polyester and polyethylene
- Not water-resistant
- Padded shoulder straps
- Padded back for more comfort
- Sternum strap and hip belt
- Luggage strap available
- Large main compartment for clothes, books etc. Laptop compartment for 17 inch laptop. Front compartments for passports and other such items. Two large mesh pockets. Two side mesh water bottle pockets
- Dimensions: 15 × 7 × 19 inches
- Weight: 1.98 lbs
- It is quite cheap
- It is large and comfortable
- Plenty of pockets
- Has a cheap appearance
- Some smaller people may consider it bulky
- Not weather-resistant
- No bottom padding
This is probably not the best 17 laptop backpack you can find, but as the name implies, it covers the basics. It’s durable, has a large volume (including a compartment large enough for a 17 inch laptop), and is comfortable on your back. And it won’t hurt your wallet. What more could you possibly want?
5. Case Logic VNB-217 Black Value 17-Inch Laptop Backpack
Among the top backpacks that fit 17 inch laptops, this is one of the simplest. If you like your backpack elegant and simple, this product is probably what you should go for.
- Laptop compartment with 17 inch laptop capacity
- Zippered speed pocket for quick access to your phone and other gadgets
- Large main compartment for storing books, clothe, files etc. Organization pocket for electronics and stationery
- Warranty: 25 years
- Dimensions: 18.5 × 12.4 × 8.5 inches
- Weight: 1.23 lbs.
- It is elegant and simple
- It is comfortable
- It can carry large laptops and has a large main compartment for carrying large loads
- Could contain cardinogens
- No sternum or waist straps
- Some may find it too utilitarian
This is one of the simple backpacks that fit 17 inch laptops. If simple is your style, you’re probably going to like it.
6. KROSER Large Laptop Backpack
This product is sleek and would look great on both men and women.
- It is made of high quality polyester with water repellent feature
- The laptop compartment can fit a 17.3 inch laptop. It has a large compartment that can hold your clothes, books, camera etc. The several front pockets are large enough to hold your files, phone tablets, laptop accessories and other gadgets. It has two side zipped pockets that can hold your water bottle and compact umbrella
- Comfortable and adjustable padded shoulder straps. Padded handle for carrying comfort. The back is padded to shield your back from being prodded by articles inside and ease airflow between your back and the bag
- Luggage strap to fix the backpack on the trolley of your luggage for more convenient journey if you don’t want to strap across your shoulders while dragging your luggage
- USB port to charge your phone on the go
- Sunglasses hook on shoulder strap
- Dimensions: 18.5 × 13.3 × 7.8 inches
- Weight: 2.64 lbs
- It is lightweight and comfortable
- It is durable and water-repellent
- It is a 17.3 inch laptop backpack
- It has a large volume and can fit in all the clothes, books, files etc that you can carry
- The sunglasses hook is a nice touch
- It is sleek and elegant
- It is comfortable on the shoulders and the back
- You can charge your phone on the move
- It will appear somewhat bulky for smaller people
- Low on antitheft features
This is probably the best 17 inch laptop backpack in terms of combining a large volume with light weight, elegance and sleekness. It is also unisex – you can get one for yourself and another for your lovely spouse.
7. Kaka Laptop Backpack
If you’re tall and want a well-built, sturdy backpack that will suit your frame and in addition give your gear maximum security, the Kaka backpack is the go-to guy. It can hold your 17 inch laptops as well as some 17.3 inch laptops.
- Padded laptop sleeve for 17 inch laptop. Large main compartment with a lot of space for your stuffs. Several compartments and pockets for files, documents, gadgets, stationery etc.
- Durable heavy-duty zippers designed to withstand daily use with a 3-digit combination lock for extra security
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Sturdy top handle
- Longer appearance than most backpacks
- Two side pockets for water bottles and compact umbrella
- Dimensions: 12 × 7 × 22 inches
- Weight: 2.2 lbs
- It looks great on tall people
- It has large volume
- It is water-resistant
- Padded shoulder straps give added comfort
- Extra security for the zippers with a 3-digit combination lock
- The compression strap is not flexible and can affect the backpack’s ability to hold large loads that need to occupy large sections of both sides of the compression strap
- No bottom padding
- May appear long for shorter people
Within its price range and versatility, this is a great 17 inch laptop backpack. It has a large volume, is designed to last a long time and gives you extra security. And if you’re a tall fellow that have always felt awkward while carrying relatively short backpacks, this product will solve the problem perfectly.
8. Samsonite Tectonic PFT Laptop Backpack
This backpack will rank among the best backpacks for 17 inch laptop. It can easily carry your 17.3 inch laptops and still have plenty of space for your other stuffs.
- Large main compartment
- Laptop sleeve for 17.3 inch laptop. Front organizer pocket for small gadgets. Smaller pocket for headphones, sunglasses etc.
- Padded top handle for carrying comfort
- TSA friendly
- Dimensions: 8.6 × 13.3 × 18 inches
- Weight: 2.6 lbs.
- Material: polyester
- Large capacity
- TSA friendly
- Large sleeve for 17.3 inch laptop
- No antitheft feature
With amazing features such as a large volume, durability and protection for your laptop, it is quite an easy choice.
9. Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack
This is a top backpack for 17 inch laptops. It is rugger and stylish, suitable for gamers and it can also hold an enormous 18 inch laptop.
- It has a large volume and can hold an 18 inch laptop
- It is rugged and durable
- It can open 180° flat on the ground
- It has a gaming console sleeve
- Dimensions: 14.6 × 6.3 × 21.1 inches
- Weight: 3.42
- Large volume
- Suitable for gamers
- It is not suitable for hiking
- It is low on antitheft features
When you consider some of the features of this backpack, you could argue it is the top backpack for 17 inch laptop. It is roomy, stylish and can even hold laptops of up to 18 inches.
10. Nubily 17 Inch Waterproof Extra Large TSA Travel Backpack
If you’re a business man and you want a high quality backpack that’s TSA friendly, this may be one the one for you. It can hold your 17.3 inch laptop capacity quite easily.
- It is made from high quality water-resistant polyester material
- It has a large padded compartment with 17.3 inch laptop capacity
- Dimensions: 14.1 × 8.3 × 18.5 inches
- Weight: 3.3 lbs.
- It is large
- The padded compartment gives your laptop protection when it hits a hard surface
- It is durable
- At 3.3 lbs, it’s a bit on the heavy side for a backpack
- Some may consider it bulky
This product will give you a beautiful travel experience with its friendly design, large volume and stress-free airport security checks.
There are many 17 inch laptop backpacks out there but these ones are the top ten in there different functionalities and tastes. Read through it again, and surely, you’ll find one to your taste.